Ayr Gold Cup Betting
Run at Ayr racecourse, the Ayr Gold Cup betting markets always hot-up in the build-up to the race, which is staged in September each year.
The Ayr Gold Cup is a handicap flat turf horse racing that is run over a trip of six furlongs, and with the contest often attracting twenty plus runners each year then the Ayr Gold Cup betting market is one of the most competitive on the horse racing calendar.
The three-day Ayr Gold Cup 2020 Festival took place from 17th-19th September. Dates for Ayr Gold Cup 2021 will be announced soon.
Ayr Gold Cup Odds
The Ayr Gold Cup odds will be shown by all the leading bookmakers on the day of the race, but they will also price-up the Ayr Gold Cup runners in their ante-post markets too.
In their ante-post market, Ayr Gold Cup odds will often be found around a month or two prior to the race and will change a lot based on the form of fancied Ayr Gold Cup runners and other key trial races in the build-up to the race.
Ayr Gold Cup Runners
Each year we can expect to see twenty-plus Ayr Gold Cup runners being entered in the race.
The Ayr Gold Cup holds a total prize money fund of over £200,000, so it’s no surprise that the contest attracts a lot of Ayr Gold Cup runners.
Ayr Gold Cup betting in recent years has been a bad one for punters with just three winning Ayr Gold Cup favourites winning the race since 1980.
You can expect to see the final Ayr Gold Cup runners two days before the race each season.
The 2018 Ayr Races was actually dead-heat with Baron Bolt and Son Of A Rest sharing the first prize spoils.
Ayr Gold Cup Tips 2021
There will be many Ayr Gold Cup tips in the lead-up to the race from horse racing tipsters online and in print. However, with many years of Ayr Gold Cup history, the Ayr Gold Cup betting odds can often be influenced by key past trends and stats.
For example, a key Ayr Gold Cup tip – based on some key stats – is that ALL of the last 18 Ayr Gold Cup winners had raced in the last six weeks.
Ayr Gold Cup Betting Trends
With the Ayr Gold Cup having a big history it shouldn’t come as a surprise that there are several high-profile Ayr Gold Cup trends that have built-up over the years. As mentioned in Ayr gold cup tips, betting trends often originate from previous Ayr racing results.
These Ayr Gold Cup trends will also impact the Ayr Gold Cup betting markets over the season.
For example, 12 of the last 18 Ayr Gold Cup winners carried 9st 1lb or more in weight and were also won by a horse aged 4 or 5 years-old.
Other Ayr Gold Cup trends to note are that the race has only seen three winning favourites since 1980, so don’t be afraid to look further down the Ayr Gold Cup betting markets when trying to pick the winner of the Ayr Gold Cup.
Recent Ayr Gold Cup Winners
- 2020 – Nahaarr
- 2019 – Angel Alexander
- 2018 – Baron Bolt (28/1) & Son Of A Rest (5/1 fav)
- 2017 – Donjuan Triumphant (13/2)
- 2016 – Brando (11/1)
- 2015 – Don’t Touch (6/1 fav)
- 2014 – Louis The Pious (10/1)
- 2013 – Highland Colori (20/1)
- 2012 – Captain Ramius (16/1)
- 2011 – Our Jonathan (11/1)
- 2010 – Redford (14/1)
- 2009 – Jimmy Styles (14/1)
- 2008 – Regal Parade (18/1)
- 2007 – Advanced (20/1)
- 2006 – Fonthill Road (16/1)
- 2005 – Presto Shinko (12/1)
- 2004 – Funfair Wane (33/1)
- 2003 – Quito (20/1)
- 2002 – Funfair Wane (16/1)
- Note: The 2017 running was staged at Haydock
Key Ayr Gold Cup Betting Trends
- 18/18 – Raced within the last 6 weeks
- 17/18 – Raced within the last 4 weeks
- 15/18 – Had 3 or more wins to their name
- 14/18 – Had won over 6f before
- 13/18 – Failed to win their last race
- 12/18 – Carried 9-1 or more
- 12/18 – Aged 4 or 5 years-old
- 12/18 – Finished in the top 4 last time out
- 11/18 – Rated 90-101
- 11/18 – Came from a double-figure stall
- 10/18 – Had 7 or more runs that season
- 10/18 – Unplaced favourites
- 9/18 – Had raced at Ayr before
- 9/18 – Ran at either Doncaster (3), Goodwood (3) or Haydock (3) last time out
- 9/18 – Winning distance 1 length or less
- 4/18 – Trained by Kevin Ryan
- 2/18 – Ridden by Frankie Dettori
- 2/18 – Winning favourites (3 winning favs since 1980)
- 0/18 – Filly or mare winners
- The last 10 winners came from stalls 8 or lower (4 of the last 14 winners came from stall 8)
- Since 1980 just five winners aged 6 or older
- The last horse to win back-to-back races was Heronsiea in 1930/31
- The average winning SP in the last 17 years is 15/1
Ayr Gold Cup Bookmakers 2021
Being a sprint handicap that often attracts 20+ runners then normally the each-way place terms for the Ayr Gold Cup will be the first four places.
However, leading Ayr Gold Cup bookmakers, like the current sponsors – William Hill – will often offer enhanced place terms.
Ayr Gold Cup History
The Ayr Gold Cup was first run in 1804. Since the Ayr racecourse is in Scotland, the race was originally restricted to horses that were bred and trained in Scotland.
The Ayr Gold Cup became a handicap horse race in 1855 and having been run over various trip in it’s early days was changed to 6f – which is the race’s current distance – in 1908.
Before looking at the Ayr Gold Cup betting, be sure to check the results of the Ayr Silver Cup and Bronze Cups. These two races are run over the same course and distance as the Ayr Gold Cup at the same three-day meeting. These races are for horses that failed to get into the main event – the Ayr Gold Cup – but can often provide vital Ayr Gold Cup betting clues, mainly round the draw.