Best* Horse Racing Betting Sites
Everyone loves a punt on the Cheltenham Gold Cup and the Grand National, but what about a Monday meeting at Yarmouth or an evening race card from Dundalk? The fact is, our best* horse racing sites cover every blade of turf to bring you action from all races – big or small.
How We Picked Our Best* Online Bookmakers
Choosing the best horse racing betting sites is a rather subjective task due to each punter valuing different aspects of a bookie to varying degrees. Our list of the best bookmakers for horse racing UK is formed by the collective input of industry experts at horse-bettors.com. These are the criteria we used to arrive at our decision:
- Licensing: This goes without saying really. Each one of the best horse racing betting sites chosen is licensed and regulated by the UK Gambling Commission.
- Betting odds: Punters want as much bang for their buck as possible, so competitive prices are essential. If the bookies’ margins are too high, bettors aren’t getting the value they deserve.
- Bonuses & Promotions: Extra incentives to have a flutter are part and parcel of the best bookmakers for horse racing. However, we judged the offers based on their fairness to punters.
- Range of markets & bet types: Gone are the days where the only options are to win and place bets. Punters demand choice and that’s exactly what we looked for when selecting the best horse racing betting sites.
- Form guides/tips: Knowledge is the ultimate power when it comes to successful horse race betting. These sites provide guides, previews and expert tips to help you win.
- User-friendly platform: Whether you’re on a desktop or mobile app, the platform needs to be user-friendly. Speed is of the essence when betting on horse particularly if they are just getting ready for the off, so the platform also needs to be responsive.
- Fast payouts: When you win, and you decide to withdraw some cash, you want it as quickly as possible. Like you, we hate bookies that drag their feet when paying out, so we didn’t include any slow-payers on our list.
Whether you decide to bet with one of our best bookmakers for horse racing UK or you want to find your own, our criteria checklist will help you evaluate the merits of each site. Other areas we assessed are customer service, deposit methods, other sports betting options and live streaming, among others. It’s important for you to select the bookmaker which matches what you want and the style of betting you like.
How Does Horse Race Betting Work?
All of the best horse racing betting sites operate on cutting-edge platforms which are user-friendly. This makes them equally perfect for newcomers to the world of online betting and seasoned punters.
With that said, there are a few things to keep in mind when you have a flutter. The first is the choice of betting markets. Do you just fancy a punt on the nose or perhaps you have an eye on an each-way bet?
Another consideration is whether or not to take the board price at the time of betting or bet on the SP (starting price). Nowadays, the best horse racing betting sites offer ‘Best Odds Guaranteed’ so you don’t have to worry about which price to take because you’ll be paid out on the highest if you win.
These are not the only markets to choose from. You can bet without the favourite on selected races and some bookmakers offer head-to-head betting (i.e. will horse A finish in front of horse B), plus several others. Additionally, you must think about the bet type you intend to use.
A straightforward single is unquestionably the easiest wager but if you want to go for bigger payouts, then doubles, trebles, accumulators, forecasts or even a punt on the tote may be more to your liking. And, let’s not forget system bets such as Round-Robins, Trixies, Lucky 15s and so on. You are spoilt for choice at the best horse racing betting sites we’ve picked for you. That is a fact!
While the UK is the same as the best bookmakers for horse racing AUS, you should be aware that some of the betting terminologies are different. Australians use the phrase exotic bets such as exacta, quinella and quadrella. These are essentially the same markets and bet types just packaged under a different name.
*Best Welcome Bonus: Ladbrokes
It was a close call as to which of our best horse racing betting sites offers the top welcome bonus but Ladbrokes got the nod. Its offer of bet £5 and get £20 in free bets might not seem that lavish but our judgement is based on how fair the offer is to punters.
For instance, the Ladbrokes qualifying bet minimum odds are 1.50 (1.2) or greater. Compare this to Betfred that states the minimum odds for its qualifying bet are 2.00 (evens). You do get £10 more in free bets with Betfred but the chances of you losing your original bet are double that of Ladbrokes.
18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 4 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply. T&Cs apply.
*Best Sportsbook: bet365
bet365 labels itself as the ‘World’s favourite online sportsbook’ and its hard to argue against that. For nearly 20 years, this betting site has been at the pinnacle of this industry. It offers fantastic market depth on more sports than any of its competitors and it has more live streaming events, too. This is not to say the other sites are not worthy of your attention. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses in certain areas.
The Live Stream service is not available in all countries
*Best Mobile App: bet365
The importance of mobile betting is undeniable. All of the best horse racing betting sites know this, which is why each of them provides a top-quality mobile app. Our team choose bet365, because it is jam-packed with amazing features both for horse racing punters and sports bettors. Here are some of the delights that the bet365 app offers horse racing fanatics:
- Live Streaming: All UK and Ireland races, plus overseas racing from Australia, among other countries.
- Racing Archive: Watch replays of all UK and Ireland races covered by RTV & ATR for free.
- My Horses: Allows you to build your own stable of horses and get updates when they are due to run.
- Each Way Extra: Choose your own place terms on selected races.
- Edit bet: This lets you add, swap or remove selections from bets you’ve already placed.
*Best Odds: Unibet
To be completely fair, there isn’t much to choose between the best horse racing betting sites when it comes to offering top odds**. You will notice, the longer you bet online, that for some races bookmaker A is slightly better but on other races bookmaker B, C or D is. We must also factor in the popular best odds guaranteed (BOG) which levels the field even more.
With that said, we gave the best horse racing account for odds to Unibet. It is a very solid performer in this section and its odds are rarely outside the top 3 overall (for the favourites). There is more swing in the markets if you are looking at backing a few outsiders, so it does pay to shop around.
**Odds are subject to change.
What do I need to register at an online betting site?
To register with an online bookmaker, you need:
- To be over the legal age to gamble. For UK customers this is 18 years old but if you want to join one of the best bookmakers for horse racing US, then you must be 21.
- For most sites, you’ll need a personal bank account. However, bookmakers, including Paddy Power offer a cash card (prepaid Mastercard) which can act as a workaround.
- A device connected to the internet. If you use a shared computer, please log out after every session and never autosave your login details.
How do I find the best horse racing account?
As mentioned at the top of this page, the term ‘best’ is subjective. We have listed six of the best horse racing betting sites currently available but there are many others. Use our criteria checklist to establish what factors you rate the most highly and filter your results from there.
Which horse racing sites are available?
The list of best bookmakers for horse racing US and AUS differs to that of the UK. This is due to local licencing laws mainly and also monopolies. For example, Paddy Power is among the best horse racing betting sites in the UK but it doesn’t operate in Australia (although bet365 and Ladbrokes do).
The reason is that Flutter Entertainment – the owner of Paddy Power – also owns Sportsbets.com.au, and this could be seen as creating a monopoly on the market.
Can I get horse racing tips?
The best horse racing betting sites offer race previews and most have in-house tipsters. However, if you’d like to get ahead of the field, you can also check out our dedicated racing tips page.
What are the *best online betting sites in the UK?
You’ve found them right here! Although the focus of this page is primarily on the top horse racing betting sites, these are among the very top online bookmakers as a whole – for both racing and sports.
What betting sites have live horse racing in the UK?
Once again, they are right here. All of the best bookmakers for horse racing we’ve listed above offer live racing coverage. The terms for viewing a race may differ slightly though. Bet365 usually allows you to watch an event if you have a funded account. Certain other sites will only allow you to watch if you place a wager on the event/race beforehand.
What is the best betting app for horse racing?
In our opinion, the bet365 mobile app is first-class. It’s action-packed with features to enhance the user experience. You can watch thousands of races every year and it’s fast, responsive and user-friendly. For us, it ticks every box.
*Ratings reflect the opinion of our writers.