Dante Stakes Betting 2021
The Dante Stakes 2021 will take place on 13th May 2021. The Dante Stakes betting hots-up each May when the Group Two flat race takes place. Run at York races, the Dante Stakes id for 3 year-olds only and is often seen as a decent trial for the Epsom Derby that is run the following month.
Dante Stakes Odds
You can expect to see the Dante Stakes betting odds on show with most of the leading bookmakers in the weeks leading up to the race in their ante-post sections, but once the final Dante Stakes runners are announced (2 days before) this is when the Dante Stakes betting gets more popular.
Then as the race draws nearer and the final Dante Stakes runners are announced two days before, this is when you can expect to see a lot more activity in the Dante Stakes betting market.
Dante Stakes Runners
In 2020 we saw the Mark Johnston-trained Thunderous win the Dante Stakes at York, but he didn’t run in the Epsom Derby later that season.
It was the second winner in the Dante Stakes for trainer Mark Johnston and these two successes came in the last four years.
With the race being for 3 year-olds only then the Dante Stakes runners will change every season and, therefore, we’ll never have repeat winners of the Dante Stakes.
In recent years we’ve seen only two winning Dante Stakes favourites in the last 13 renewals, but do note any Dante Stakes runners that trainer John Gosden has as he’s won the prize three times in the last six years, while jockey Oisin Murphy has a great recent record in the Dante Stakes – the champion jockey has won the race twice in the last three years.
Dante Stakes Tips 2021
Each year you can expect to see many Dante Stakes tips online and in the newspapers, with horses that are strongly-fancied for the Epsom Derby often using the Dante Stakes as a trial or preparation race.
This is backed-up with 16 of the last 18 Dante Stakes winners going onto run in the Epsom Derby, with four of those 18 winnings both races.
Trainers John Gosden and Mark Johnston have already been mentioned as having good recent records in the race, but also note any Dante Stakes runners from the Sir Michael Stoute and Aidan O’Brien stables.
Stoute has won the Dante Stakes six times in total and O’Brien four times.
Dante Stakes Betting Trends
There are many Dante Stakes betting trends to apply to the race each year once the final York Dante Stakes runners are announced.
Use these Dante Stakes trends to find the best profiles of past winners – then once we know the final Dante Stakes runners (2 days before the race) apply these trends to the field to see which runners have the most positive Dante Stakes trends.
14 of the last 18 Dante Stakes winners finished third or better in their previous race, while 12 of the last 18 past Dante Stakes winners returned 8/1 or shorter in the betting.
You can see below a list of the recent Dante Stakes winners and some key trends that will help when looking at the Dante Stakes betting market.
Past Dante Stakes Winners
- 2020 – Thunderous (6/1)
- 2019 – Telecaster (7/1)
- 2018 – Roaring Lion (3/1 fav)
- 2017 – Permian (10/1)
- 2016 – Wings Of Desire (9/1)
- 2015 – Golden Horn (4/1)
- 2014 – The Grey Gatsby (9/1)
- 2013 – Libertarian (33/1)
- 2012 – Bonfire (3/1)
- 2011 – Carlton House (11/4)
- 2010 – Cape Blanco (9/2)
- 2009 – Black Bear Island (12/1)
- 2008 – Tartan Bearer (10/1)
- 2007 – Authorized (10/11 fav)
Betfred Dante Stakes (Group 2) Cl1 1m2f88y ITV
Of the past 18 Dante Stakes runnings, we’ve compiled the key betting trends you can consider when sorting through the field in 2021.
- 16/18 – Winners that went onto run in the Epsom Derby (4 won)
- 14/18 – Finished third or better last time out
- 12/18 – Returned 8/1 or shorter in the betting
- 12/18 – Had a previous race that season
- 11/18 – Won their previous race
- 9/18 – Went onto be placed in the Epsom Derby
- 4/18 – Went onto win the Epsom Derby
- 4/18 – Winning favourites
- 4/18 – Had won over 1m2f before
- 3/18 – Won by trainer Aidan O’Brien (won it 4 times in all)
- 3/18 – Won by trainer Sir Michael Stoute (won it 6 times in all)
- 3/18 – Won by jockey Ryan Moore
- 3/18 – Trained by John Gosden (3 of last 5 runnings)
- 2/18 – Ridden by Frankie Dettori
- 2/18 – Ridden by William Buick
- 2/18 – Ridden by Oisin Murphy
- 1/18 – Had run at York before
- 0/18 – Winners from stall 2
- Just 2 winning favourites in the last 13 runnings
- Golden Horn (2015) was the last Dante winner to go onto win the Epsom Derby
- The average winning SP in the last 13 years is 8/1
Dante Stakes Bookmakers
All the leading bookmakers will have betting odds for the Dante Stakes in the build-up to the race. Many will have Dante Stakes betting odds in their ante-post section, while in the days before the race more Dante Stakes bookmakers will have extra offers to look out for – like enhanced odds or extra place betting options.
Dante Stakes History
The Dante Stakes was first to run back in 1958 and won by a horse called Bald Eagle.
Trainer Sir Henry Cecil is the current most winning handler of the race with 7 wins, while jockey Pat Eddery holds the record for the most Dante Stakes winners (6).
In more recent years, trained, Sir Michael Stoute, Aidan O’Brien and John Gosden are the yards to follow – between them they’ve won 12 of the last 23 renewals.
The Dante Stakes is run at the York Dante Festival each May – with the meeting held over three days (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday).
Other notable races at the York Dante Meeting are the Duke Of York Clipper Stakes, Yorkshire Cup, Middleton Stakes and the Musidora Stakes. The last-named is billed as a decent trial race for the Epsom Oaks that is run around 2 weeks later each season.