Ebor Betting – Ebor Festival
The four-day York Ebor Festival is staged at York racecourse – normally around the third week in August. The Ebor betting interest will start to increase as the meeting draws nearer each year.
Many bookmakers will have York Ebor Betting on the main York races 2020 at the meeting in their ante-post sections. Some bookmakers The Ebor Handicap odds – one of the big betting highlights in the horse racing calendar – will show bookmakers all-year-round.
The 2020 Ebor Festival will be staged from Wednesday 19th August to Saturday 22nd August.
Ebor Festival odds are currently on offer from Skybet, who actually sponsor the main race – the Ebor Handicap. The Ebor Handicap is run on the final day of the four-day meeting.
There are many other big Ebor Festival races over the four-day meeting – including ten Group races. Of those ten Group races there are three Group Ones – The Nunthorpe Stakes, Juddmonte International Stakes and the Yorkshire Oaks.
Ebor betting odds on all the main York Ebor Festival races will be priced-up once the main flat turf season gets going each year in April/May.
Ebor Festival Runners
At this stage the Ebor betting odds are headed by Hamish, Trueshan, Raymond Tusk and Protected Guest.
The 2019 Ebor Handicap was won by the Ger Lyons-trained Mustajeer, who returned at Ebor odds of 16/1.
Other notable winners at the 2019 Ebor Festival were the popular stayer Stradivarius, who won the Lonsdale Cup. The speedy Battaash won the 2019 Nunthorpe Stakes at betting odds of 7/4, while the classy mare, Enable, landed the Yorkshire Oaks and with her connections announcing she’ll remain in training in 2020 then she could be a notably Ebor Festival runner to look for.
Name some runners and briefly discuss the form of any Ebor Festival Favourites that are in the ante-post betting market. If none are available yet, talk about some noteworthy winners in previous Ebor Festivals that punters should keep an eye on.
Ebor Festival Tips
The Ebor Handicap is the most valuable middle-distance handicap in Europe – the 2019 winner, Mustajeer, won £600,000 when he won the race.
Other key York Races tips to note are that trainer Sir Michael Stoute has trained the winner of the Ebor Handicap three times in the past, while it’s been a race that has favoured the bookmakers over the backers as we’ve seen only one winning Ebor Handicap favourite win the race since 1999.
Ebor Festival Betting Trends
There are many York Ebor Festival betting trends to help you find the winners of the main races, including the 2020 Ebor Handicap.
It’s a race that’s been hard for punters with just one winning Ebor Handicap betting favourite since 1999, with the average Ebor Handicap odds for the winner being 21/1.
Being a handicap, the weight carried by a horse is another key Ebor Handicap betting trend to note. A total of 17 of the last 18 Ebor Handicap winners carried 9st 5lbs in weight.
Key Ebor Handicap 18 Year Betting Trends
- 17/18 – Carried 9-5 or less
- 17/18 – Aged 6 or younger
- 15/18 – Had won over at least 1m4f before
- 14/18 – Won from a double-figure stall
- 12/18 – Carried 9-1 or less
- 12/18 – Aged either 4 or 5 years-old
- 12/18 – Winning Distance – 1 length or less
- 11/18 – Had 3 or more runs already that season
- 10/18 – Unplaced favourites
- 9/18 – Had run at York before
- 5/18 – Ran at Ascot last time out
- 5/18 – Won last time out
- 5/18 – Irish-trained winners (5 of the last 10)
- 4/18 – Ran at Goodwood last time out
- 3/18 – Ran at Galway last time out
- 2/18 – Ridden by Jamie Spencer
- 2/18 – Placed horses from stall 1 (third 2011, third 2013)
- 1/18 – Winning favourites
- Just one winning favourite since 1999
- Trainer Sir Michael Stoute won the race in 1980, 1991 & 1996
- The average winning SP in the last 18 years is 21/1
Past Betfred Ebor Winners
- 2019 – Mustajeer (16/1)
- 2018 – Muntahaa (11/1)
- 2017 – Nakeeta (12/1)
- 2016 – Heartbreak City (15/2)
- 2015 – Litigant (33/1)
- 2014 – Mutual Regard (20/1)
- 2013 – Tiger Cliff (5/1)
- 2012 – Willing Foe (12/1)
- 2011 – Moyenne Corniche (25/1)
- 2010 – Dirar (14/1)
- 2009 – Sesenta (25/1)
- 2008 – All The Good (25/1)
- 2007 – Purple Moon (7/2 fav)
- 2006 – Mudawin (100/1)
- 2005 – Sergeant Cecil (11/1)
- 2004 – Mephisto (6/1)
- 2003 – Saint Alebe (20/1)
- 2002 – Hugs Dancer (25/1)
- Note: 2008 renewal at Newbury over 1m3f
Ebor Festival Bookmakers
Being a big-field handicap, the Skybet Ebor Handicap is a bookmaker’s dream race.
With many Ebor Festival runners in the race then it’s proved a graveyard race for punters in recent years. However, with the Ebor Handicap being a very popular betting race then there are many Ebor Festival bookmaker offers to take advantage of for punters.
The Ebor Handicap is also sponsored by leading bookmaker Skybet. They are also worth checking out in the build-up to the race as they tend to have more Ebor offers than most.
Ebor Festival History
The Ebor Festival history is plentiful. The fixture’s name is shortened from ‘Eboracum’, which is the Roman name for York – the racecourse that stages the Ebor Festival each year.
The Ebor Handicap is run over a trip of 1m5f and is billed as being the most valuable flat handicap in Europe.
Lester Piggott is the most successful jockey in Ebor Handicap history with five wins in the race to his name, while the first ever Ebor Handicap winner was a horse called Pagan in 1843.