Tingle Creek Betting
Run in early December each season, the Tingle Creek Betting market is often a good guide ahead of that season’s Queen Mother Champion Chase, that run at the Cheltenham Festival in March.
The Tingle Creek Chase is a Grade One contest that is staged at Sandown Park racecourse and run over a trip of 2miles.
The 2019 Tingle Creek Festival was run on Saturday 7th December, with the 2020 Tingle Creek Chase staged on Saturday 5th December.
Tingle Creek Odds
You can expect to see the Tingle Creek odds appear on most leading bookmaker sites around November each season.
Past Tingle Creek winners often figure high up in the Tingle Creek betting markets each season, while the average Tingle Creek odds in the last 17 runnings is 5/2 (3.50).
Tingle Creek Runners
In 2018 we saw the popular chaser – Altior – win the Tingle Creek, with the 2016 Tingle Creek winner – Un De Sceaux – finishing runner-up.
We can expect to see Un De Sceaux targeted as a key Tingle Creek runner again ahead of the 2019 renewal. The 2017 Tingle Creek winner – Politologue – is another horse to note.
Tingle Creek runners in recent years have also used this race for preparation ahead of running in the Queen Mother Champion Chase at the Cheltenham Festival.
In recent times, we’ve seen Tingle Creek winners – Master Minded (2008), Moscow Flyer (2004), Sprinter Sacre (2012), Sire de Grugy (2013), Dodging Bullets (2014) and Altior (2018) go onto follow-up in the Cheltenham Queen Mother Champion Chase.
Tingle Creek Tips
The last back-to-back Tingle Creek winner was Kauto Star (2005 & 2006), but since then we have seen horses like Sire De Grugy, Master Minded and Twist Magic as two-time Tingle Creek winners – just not in following seasons.
With trainer Paul Nicholls having trained the Tingle Creek winner 10 times then anything he trains is often regarded at a solid Tingle Creek tip, while the Tingle Creek betting in recent times suggests to look for a horse at the head of the market. A massive 16 of the last 17 Tingle Creek winners returned just 6/1 or shorter in the Tingle Creek betting market.
Tingle Creek Betting Trends
There are many Tingle Creek betting trends to apply to the race once the final Tingle Creek runners come out.
Use these key Tingle Creek Trends to narrow down the runners and find the best profile of past winners.
For example, 16 of the last 17 Tingle Creek winners were aged 9 or younger, while 14 of the last 17 successful Tingle Creek runners had won a Grade One Chase before.
Recent Tingle Creek Winners:
- 2018 – altior (8/13 fav)
- 2017 – politologue (7/2)
- 2016 – un de sceaux (5/4 fav)
- 2015 – sire de grugy (10/3)
- 2014 – dodging bullets (9/1)
- 2013 – sire de grugy (7/4 jfav)
- 2012 – sprinter sacre (4/11 fav)
- 2011 – sizing europe (11/8 fav)
- 2010 – master minded (10/11 fav)
- 2009 – twist magic (9/4)
- 2008 – master minded (4/7 fav)
- 2007 – twist magic (5/1)
- 2006 – kauto star (4/9 fav)
- 2005 – kauto star (5/2 jfav)
- 2004 – moscow flyer (2/1)
- 2003 – moscow flyer (6/4 fav)
- 2002 – cenkos (6/1)
Tingle Creek Chase Trends:
- 16/17 – Returned 6/1 or shorter in the betting
- 16/17 – Aged 9 or younger
- 15/17 – Placed in the top 3 last time out
- 14/17 – Had won a Grade One chase before
- 14/17 – Winners that went onto run in that season’s QM Champion Chase
- 13/17 – Officially rated 165 or higher
- 13/17 – Placed favourites
- 13/17 – Aged between 5-8 years-old
- 13/17 – Had won at least 4 times over fences before
- 12/17 – French bred
- 12/17 – Returned 5/2 or shorter in the betting
- 11/17 – Raced within the last 4 weeks
- 11/17 – Winning distance – 3 lengths or more
- 10/17 – Winning favourites (2 joint)
- 10/17 – Won last time out
- 9/17 – Trained by Paul Nicholls
- 9/17 – Had won a chase race at Sandown before
- 6/17 – Went onto win the Champion Chase (Altior, Dodging Bullets, Sire de Grugy, Sprinter Sacre, Master Minded & Moscow Flyer) at the Cheltenham Festival that season
- 3/17 – Ridden by Barry Geraghty
- 1/17 – Went onto win the Gold Cup (Kauto Star) at the Cheltenham Festival that season
- The average winning SP in the last 17 years is 5/2
Tingle Creek Bookmakers
With Betfair as the main Tingle Creek sponsor, this Tingle Creek bookmaker is always worth checking out in the build-up to the race as they by have some special Tingle Creek Chase betting offers.
Tingle Creek History
The Tingle Creek Chase was first run in 1979 and won by a horse called Artifice.
Top National Hunt Jockey – Richard Dunwoody, who is now retired – holds the record for the most Tingle Creek wins in the races history (5 wins), while trainer Paul Nicholls is always a man to follow as his Tingle Creek history has seen him win the race a staggering 10 times (up to 2018).
Other key Sandown races to note at the Tingle Creek Festival are the Henry VII Novices’ Chase and the Ballymore Winter Novices’ Hurdle.